The door of your house not only let you in or out of the building, but it also offers excellent protection to your home. Imagine a home without any door! It is unimaginable. Since the doors protect your house, you need to be serious about protecting your entries from different kinds of threats. One of these threats is heat or warm weather.
You should know how to keep the doors safe from the regular wear and tear; especially during the summer season. Routine care and proper maintenance will ensure the long life and shine of the doors.
How Can Summer Affect the Doors
The effect of summer on the outside doors is terrible. The brilliant sunshine, which may look perfect for your outdoor activities, may seem highly dangerous for your entries. On top of that, the high humidity can also reduce the expected lifespan of the doors. They can cause swelling, bleaching, faded paint, as well as cracking in extreme cases.
All these things will make the door gradually weak, which will be a significant threat to the safety and security of your home.
On the other hand, extreme heat can cause an expansion in the metal, which may create disputes in the door locks. The locks will not work correctly because of their expanded form due to extreme heat. The mechanism of the door locks will get misaligned, which will make locking the door tricky. This will also be a significant threat to the security of your property as well as your loved ones.
How to Get Rid of the Issue
- Regular and general maintenance is very imperative in such cases. However, there are other things to do to ensure the safety of the doors during the summer season.
- Apply the best quality finish on the doors to offer a protective layer just before the summer season starts. This will prevent cracking and swelling to a great extent.
- You should choose lighter colours for the outsider doors as these colours will absorb less sunlight and heat. Hence, the door will remain more relaxed than the doors that have darker colours on them.
- Nowadays, you can get external varnish that can be used on the doors and windows as a protective layer for the paint to keep it safe from extreme heat and humidity.
- You may need to call the experts locksmiths for the regular and proper maintenance of the door locks so that they cannot get misaligned due to the expansion caused by extreme heat.
- Change the lock and key of the doors if you find it difficult to lock them properly. Ask your locksmiths to replace or repair the locks to ensure the safety of your door and property as well.
At Haines Security, we offer 24 hours locksmith services to our clients as per their needs. We also provide maintenance and repairs of locks. For more information, please call us 01273 623322.